Welcome to Our Puppy Blog!

Welcome to our blog! I am a small hobby breeder of Schnoodle puppies. My Schnoodles are a cross of the White Schnauzer with a Red Poodle. These dogs do not shed, are great for allergy sufferers, are friendly and easily trained.

We have 4 breeding females and sell our puppies face to face as required by APHIS rules for hobby breeders.


Our breeding dogs are from purebred Akc lines and the Schnoodle puppies are registered with ICA (the registry for Designer breed dogs.)

They will be vet checked, have their first set of shots, and they have been using a Ugodog Potty tray from 4 to 8 weeks. But this is just the beginning! Read through our posts to see the special care and attention we give our litter. You will enjoy watching our Growing Puppies!

We sell our puppies through our Waiting list. To reserve your spot on the Waiting List requires a $250 deposit. If you have any questions please email me at GrowingPuppies@gmail.com

Visit www.SchnoodlePuppy.weebly.com for more information on buying a puppy.

Friday, October 3, 2014

My new whelping box cover!

The day that Misty came into labor I was busy finishing her Whelping Box Cover.  This is a fleece covering which covers the cheapo plastic kiddie pool that we use for the puppies when they are first born.   I don't actually use it for labor and delivery, as it would get pretty soiled.  I line the Kiddie Pool with newspaper for whelping.  But once the puppies are born, it is important to have a cozy cover to put over the plastic Kiddie Pool.
The new Kiddie Pool Cover is warm and cozy!

I don't actually like to sew.   But I am motivated to go through the trouble by the benefits in the finished product.   The most important aspect of this cover is its safety.  Mama dogs tend to scratch their bedding a lot to get comfortable.   This can move a loose blanket around quite a bit and be a danger to the puppies who crawl underneath and get suffocated.  This Whelping Cover is secured around the lip with elastic which makes it impossible for a puppy to get under it.  And it securely stays in place even if mama scratches it.

Misty and puppies have plenty of room to stretch and grow!

The floor of my whelping cover is made of Sherling Fur.  The fur keeps puppies warm....which is imperative for a newborn.  It allows liquids to pass through and the puppies stay dry.  The Sherling also provides good traction for the little puppy claws so they can crawl about easily and develop strong leg muscles.

The puppies can stay in the whelping pool box for the first few weeks of life.   When they start to be able to walk, I will move them to the pen so they can start using their Ugodog potty.

I haven't seen any commercial suppliers for this cover, and there are no patterns available as far as I can see.  So I had to create my own pattern.   It worked out perfectly and I am super happy with the results!   Now to make a few more so I can trade them off for washing.....

2 comments:

  1. Pretty cool! How did you make your own pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took newspaper and cut a circle to cover the floor. (that will be the fleece. Add 1/4 inch for seam allowance). Next cut newspaper in wedgelike pieces to go from the fleece over the edge. The pieces have to get a little wider as they get to the lip because the pool gets a little wider. And it has to go over the lip and have enough to go over and make a sleeve for elastic. I have four piece that are seamed together. The seams run toward the fleece. I hope that makes sense. It was a bit tricky to figure out.

      Delete