Welcome to Our Puppy Blog!

Welcome to our blog! I am a small hobby breeder of Schnoodle puppies. My Schnoodles are a cross of the White Schnauzer with a Red Poodle. These dogs do not shed, are great for allergy sufferers, are friendly and easily trained.

We have 4 breeding females and sell our puppies face to face as required by APHIS rules for hobby breeders.


Our breeding dogs are from purebred Akc lines and the Schnoodle puppies are registered with ICA (the registry for Designer breed dogs.)

They will be vet checked, have their first set of shots, and they have been using a Ugodog Potty tray from 4 to 8 weeks. But this is just the beginning! Read through our posts to see the special care and attention we give our litter. You will enjoy watching our Growing Puppies!

We sell our puppies through our Waiting list. To reserve your spot on the Waiting List requires a $250 deposit. If you have any questions please email me at GrowingPuppies@gmail.com

Visit www.SchnoodlePuppy.weebly.com for more information on buying a puppy.

Monday, December 23, 2013

DIY Poinsettia Collar for Dogs




I have been wanting to get my doggies holiday collars for a long time.  I have admired all kinds of adorable collars on Etsy, but when I add up the cost for all my doggies to get a new collar with a bow tie or flower embellishment...I just cannot justify the purchase.    So this Christmas I decided to give it a try.   I made Poinsettia collars for the girls...and a Bow Tie collar for Toby.







Making the collar:

Rather than buy several kinds of fabrics for each dog, I found a Christmas fabric that had many designs combined into one fabric.  Now all the dogs will color coordinate with each other.


I cut the fabric 4 times the width of the collar I want to make and twice the length of the finished collar.  I folded each strip in half lengthwise and ironed in the crease.  Then I folded the sides toward the crease to create the hem.  And folding the hems together I sewed down the length of the collar to create the collar band.  Then I threaded the ends of the bands through the buckle and sewed them in place to the finished width of each dogs neck.  Since these collars were just for a few weeks of indoor use, I didn't bother using adjustable parts and D rings for collars. If I wanted stronger collars for walking the dogs, I would use nylon webbing inside the fabric.


The Poinsettia Flower Instruction:
The Poinsettia flower can be made in any color or pattern to match any collar or season.

To begin I cut out six 4 inch circles (per collar)

Then I cut each circle down the center to create half circles

Then I sewed the straight sides of the pieces together with the sewing machine.  When you are done the piece is turned right side out and resembles a cone hat.

Holding the cone flat to make a triangle, I hand sewed a loose stitch along the unfinished edge of the triangle.  As I sewed I pulled the fabric tight creating a gather and continued onto the next petal.


I continued sewing and gathering all six petals together and pulling the thread tight, I sewed it to the first petal where I began.


To create the center of the flower, I cut little circle of the collar fabric and covered buttons.  The instructions for creating fabric covered buttons come in the package of buttons.  They take 2 seconds to make the buttons.   With a hot glue gun, I glued the button over the exposed edges of the center of the flower.  I tied twine through the button hole and tied the flower tightly to the collar.

When the collars were finished they looked like this.  It cost less than $10 to make several different collars.  I made them in just a few hours and was not particular to be perfect.  But they worked out just fine....Don't you think?   If you have a sewing machine, and enjoy crafting with fabric, you can have a lot of fun making a collar for every season for your doggy.  He or she will be the smartest looking puppy on the block!
Make your own dog collar
The collars turned out nicer than I expected.  I will take more time to make sturdier collars for next season.


3 comments:

  1. Where did you get the clip/buckle pieces for these collars? Did you take them from old collars or were you able to purchase them somewhere? I love this idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most Joannes Fabric stores have these simple snap buckles. But you can get Dog Collar kits and webbing and all kinds of great collar supplies at Country Brook Design. http://www.countrybrookdesign.com Saving old collars is definitely a money saver too!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete